Dr. John Fennig co-presented Drive Your Career: Vision, Valor, and Demonstrating Value at the 25th annual meeting for the Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP). He shared his own career story and engaged in a rich discussion among attendees and the other two panelists. The room was packed standing room only with interested early career professionals.
From the "highlight reel", Dr. Fennig shared about his professional life:
- A father to 3 great kids. Married to a talented eye surgeon/20 year training director for new professionals at the U of MN
- 30 years in HRD/OD — hundreds of organizations and tens of thousands of individuals served
- 20 years founding and running DRI Consulting — a general practice HRD/OD shop
- 20 years as a licensed psychologist
- 18 years providing training and supervision to new and transitioning psychologists to become organizational consulting psychologists. Run one of the few formal training programs in consulting psychology in the country
- Fellow of Division 13: The Society of Consulting Psychology
- Proud owner of a 7-year old Portuguese water dog
- Founded/co-founder of 6 different companies — 2 succeeding and 4 that "blew up in the lab"
- 1981: Turned down a movie part to fight Arnold Schwarzenegger to stay in psychology — help people, not just entertain them. A values clarification experience!
- 1984: One of the first psychologists hired at a then Big Eight accounting firm – Price Waterhouse
- 1993: Very early adopter of the internet as a tool for professional practice
- 2009: DRIC staff now all have option to work from home — enjoying life balance and an engaging professional life, connected in many ways to clients and each other (high touch and high tech)